The first Berrigan show was held on March 31, 1891, with attendance being positive despite inclement weather and state of the roads. This first show was held in the Hall and adjacent grounds and the popularity of the show encouraged local residents to continue the tradition annually. A few more were held in the Hall, and then as the show grew, it was expanded to local farms including a paddock belonging to Mr WJ Greggery and then to Green Hills. The second show, held at Green Hills in 1897, attracted a record crowd of 1,500 people including 250 on a train from Jerilderie.
In 1898, the annual show was held for the first time in newly acquired grounds near the township. The first show to be held in Spring was not until 1901, and by 1903 the show had once again moved, this time to its present location. The red shed was built for £337, but this didn’t include the cost of materials sourced from the old exhibit shed, estimated at an additional £200.
Historical photos courtesy of Cristina Renneberg. The ‘Parade’ photo is taken from the current oval with the silos in the distance, ‘Bob Moulton and Wiggee War Knight’ were photographed at Kilmarnock Stables and ‘Uncle Bill’ and his horse are photographed in front of St Columba’s Church, which is now the school.